Quantcast

Monday, July 18, 2005

Art Podcasts

Howdy!

[update January 13, 2006: The complete list of all the Zeke's Gallery's Art Podcasts is here. And since this was originally written there have been a bunch of other art podcasts that have come on line, if you'd like a list, I have added them at the bottom. ]

I got a bunch, and I got some opinions on them, too.

The granddaddy of them all. Art Mobs. Doesn't have any regular release schedule. However, the discussion about Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon is just about the best thing I have ever heard. Made for a great inspiration, too.

Edward Goldman's Art Talk (from KCRW). Old style radio gussied up in nice new threads, thanks to iTunes 4.9. Highly recommended, highly entertaining. Now if he would only go to a 15 minute or 30 minute format, life would be very good.

KCRW also has two other shows that they are podcasting. The Politics of Culture, and Studio 360 (which is actually from WNYC) both of which deal with the visual arts occasionally.

The Speakeasy with Dorian, from WFMU is similar to Studio 360, in that the visual arts are not the main focus. But the conversations are tasty.

Then we get to what I would call the real podcasts. In other words stuff made by people who have a microphone, a computer, and a desire, instead of professional broadcasters or schools.

Art a GoGo. Nice idea, but needs better execution. Too many "ums," "ahhs," and it really isn't that focused. I'm certain that over time it will get better. Practice always helps.

Art Dirt Redux. Suffers from the same things that the Art a GoGo guys have. Namely, no script. Given the professional broadcasters out there doing visual art, I think my expectations are probably a little bit too high. But speaking clearly, and on topic isn't exactly rocket science.

The Academic Aesthetic. I've only heard one show so far. And haven't quite discovered any art content there, yet. But he is focused, and he speaks clearly. Good things in my book.

And finally there's The Museum of Modern Art's attempt to steamroll over everything in their way.

WPS1.org. They've got a humongous marketing budget, and even larger travel budget - so everybody's gonna think they're great right? Wrong-O! Boy-O. I listened briefly, while grimacing when they first went live, and if my teeth hadn't been clenched in a grimace, I probably would have lost my cookies. At that time it was a combination of amateur announcers not knowing how to control the board, combined with ultra-hip, and super cooler than you DJ's doing everything in their power to trumpet loudly how sleazy they wanted to be. Since then Greg Allen pointed them out to me again, and as he put it; "the curator/writer conversation encapsulates exactly the kind of hermetic, bitchy Venetian oneupsmanship that shouldn't be recorded, much less broadcast." But then he put an ironic spin on it, which is why I actually downloaded it. Man sometimes I wish I could understand when someone was being ironic in advance - it would make my life way easier. So in a nutshell, I haven't heard anything from PS1.org that would lead me to believe that they've gotten any better.

And then it seems that MoMA has put all of their audio up on the web. There's lots. They are the establishment. They know what they're talking about. It's professional. People speak clearly. If I wore a suit, or had a tattoo, I'd be creaming in my jeans. As it is, I'll probably end up listening to all of it, and then regretting the time wasted.

And then finally, I've been posting some audio up of things that have happened here. Such as the following concerts:
Skamoto Hiromiti on June 19
Slippery Peat on June 22
Kirsten Jones & Kristin McCaig on June 23
Diagram on July 4

Along with the reading by Joe Meno, Sean Carswell and Mickey Hess that took place on June 11.

I've been thinking of going back over the interviews that I've done, and adding the audio files to them, but they aren't exactly the best quality audio (initially they weren't intended for anybody's ears but my own) so I'm not entirely certain if I will. If there are any interviews that you would like to hear (as well as read) let me know.

Toly Kouroumalis
Michel Helman
Chris Dyer
Eduardo Kac
Dominique Blain
Marc Mayer
Jean-François Lacombe
Philip Bottenberg

New Art Podcasts: The AGO, ArtBasel, The John Hansard Gallery, Christies, the Contemporary Art Museum in Saint Louis, the de Young museum, the Hirshhorn Museum, Duane Kaiser, Santa Barbera Museum of Art, the Art Gallery of Knoxville, The Feather Gallery, The Metropolitan, the Victoria and Albert, and the Walker Center.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home