Quantcast

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Tempest in a teapot

Howdy!

This is a perfect example of why Canadian artists are considered provincial, petty and small time (thanks to Jennifer McMackon of Simpleposie for bringing it to my attention).

1. On Monday, Roy Arden got annoyed at a bad review a show he was in received in Canadian Art Magazine.

2. Some guy named Christopher Brayshaw piles on in another open letter.

3. In case you're interested, this is the show in question. Some more information can be found here.

4. I think that this is the piece of Roy Arden's that was in the show.

5. I've written about RM Vaughan a couple of times previously (A, B, he's read here, and he wrote about Zeke's Gallery a while ago in Canadian Art (yes, I'm biased))

I haven't had a chance to read the review by RM Vaughan (but I will), however from my perspective RM Vaughan is the best writer on Contemporary Art working in Canada today. And the current status quo (Roy Arden and people like him) don't like it when things start changing (as they are now). I have never seen an establishment critic write a negative review (ok, maybe one) and as the recipient of some cattiness I quite enjoy it when the establishment feels threatened.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home