Quantcast

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Taking Steven Shearer at face value

Howdy!

For about the past two weeks I've been dumping on Steven Shearer, his artwork, and how it is described in the hoity-toity art world of Berlin. It all initially started, when I read the text that accompanied his CV, and made the msitake of thinking that he had in fact written it.

Late last night I got an email from some really strange email address, that read "hi Chris, just to make it clear I didn't write the quote about the work in Berlin which as usual I didn't read until after it was published. ss" Given the really strange email address, and the "ss" I'm going to assume that it is in fact from Mr. Shearer, but...

Which then leads to the question of who did write it? The Berlin Biennale was curated by Maurizio Cattelan, Massimiliano Gioni and Ali Subotnick. If Mr. Shearer didn't write it, then the next logical candidate would be one (or all) of them. As I don't think that any of them would know more than your standard issue cliches about death metal (they look to me like they'd prefer a more singer/songwriter of music, Tom Waits, Warren Zevon, Paolo Conte, you know guys with gruff voices in front of a piano) it is quite possible that they could have screwed up.

However, if they did screw up that badly, what does it mean about the rest of their writings?

[Update May 9: please read this]

    Your Ad Here

      << Home