Quantcast

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Val Ross and Gertrude Kearns together!

Howdy!

Last week I was bashing Ms. Ross, this week I come to compliment her. There's a very nice article from yesterday's Globe and Mail about Gertrude Kearns. I've written about Ms. Kearns before.

What I want to know is, if "Negotiations are under way to install them in Ottawa, possibly at the Canadian War Museum or the Department of National Defence." Then how much more than the $50,000 for two paintings that I estimated she had received 16 months ago will she be getting now? And if she does end up getting more money for her paintings would this not be considered a postive side effect of the Canadian war effort in Afghanistan?

Secondly (and this is a very small nit to pick) the only reason "Kearns has become one of Canada's best-known war artists since the Second World War" is because Canada pretty much hasn't been in a war since the Second World War and it is really tough to be a "war artist" if their ain't any wars happening.

I'm undecided as to whether I think what Ms. Kearns is doing is a good thing or a bad thing. Are her paintings subject to the same censorship as those of a photographer embedded with the Canadian Forces would be? And how much is she personally benefiting from suffering of others?

    Your Ad Here

      << Home