Quantcast

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Piling on Hour, a minute at a time.

Howdy!

It used to be that every Sunday I would review the art reviews of the week from here in town. But that got long and tedious, especially for a Sunday. So I switched to a more catch as catch can method, but I got the impression that I was missing more than I was catching. So for a little bit now, I've just been gathering all the articles written in a specific publication and waiting for something like an appropriate time to comment on them all at once. So since something by Isa Tousignant caught my eye this morning, I thought I'd clear out what I have hanging around from Hour magazine.

July 28, 2005 - The summer show at the Saidye Bronfman centre gets reviewed. It has been slightly more than twelve months since Ms. Tousignant stopped working at the Saidye Bronfman centre, and started working full-time for Hour. I would assume (yes, I know that's dangerous) that Ms. Tousignant was involved in some aspect of the planning of this exhibit, as the Saidye's programming is organized on a somewhat longer time frame than exhibits here. Small surprise that Ms. Tousignant gives it a good review. I'd give her review a B- (it would go up, significantly, if she explained her participation (or lack thereof) in the exhibit).

August 4, 2005 - In the news section, Richard Burnett (who has preformed here, and is a very good friend of mine) wrote an article about Under Pressure, the city's graffiti festival. I've commented on the festival, the city's behavior ad nauseam. But I'm always extremely happy to see art coverage in the news section, way more people read it. Ungraded due to my conflict of interest.

August 4, 2005 - In the visual arts section, Ms. Tousignant writes about the current exhibit at Quartier Ephemere. I'd disagree with her assessment that Quartier Ephemere is "the city's most difficult-to-drive-to gallery." Some other potential nominees are Art en majuscule, Galerie Diagonale, and The Cirque du Soleil's gallery, she then goes on to mention three of the 13 artists participating. I'm not certain that she got the memo about how you're supposed to leave out from your review those artists that aren't good. I think it is more a case of her missing a large part of the exhibit. I'd give it a C+ if I was a teacher.

August 11, 2005 - Ms Tousignant, again, this time writing a short interview with Yves-Laroche, on the occasion of his recent opening of his basement as a place to see art. Nice enough on the surface, there is a whole lot of stuff just under there which, to me at least, deserves being looked into. However, I understand the constraints of writing in Hour, and so will refrain from busting her chops over omissions. My grade is a B.

August 11, 2005 - Now this is something I like seeing. Mr. Burnett, gets the gig to review the Château Ramezay. More writers, more art coverage, and not of the "mainstream" knee-jerk places, either. Cool! It definitely ain't my cup of tea, and is more likely to inspire your mom to go, but I can't think of the last time I read anything about the Château Ramezay outside of a guide book to Montreal for tourists. Ungraded due to my conflict of interest.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home