Quantcast

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Now this is just plain BAD

Howdy!

I don't know about you, (and apologies that this has nothing to with visual art. But the local CBC Montreal web page just started putting up banner ads.

I think I'm going to change my home page.

I can remember when CBC radio went ad free, and have heard some very nice things about the lack of advertising on CBC TV, however over the past year or so, ads have started creeping in on the radio. Now it seems that their website needs "to start carrying its weight." Pity.

And lest anybody think I am being hypocritical, last I heard the CBC's budget was $1,000,000,000 - that's with a "B" - to be an advertisement free public broadcaster. As they state in their Journalistic Standards and Practices, "While the CBC engages in commercial activity... this activity is not spread throughout all its programs and services. There are significant areas where the Corporation does not accept commercials or restricts it." Unfortunately the document was written in 1996, and doesn't say a gosh darn thing about the web. Personally, I think that the CBC Montreal's website is content directed at children under the age of 13, and as such should be ad free.

This here gallery on the other hand, survives on a budget of less than $30,000/year. Any extra cash, be it from advertisements, donations, sponsorships, memberships, or found on the street helps an awful lot.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home