Quantcast

Monday, May 28, 2007

Stuff Seen - Under Construction

Howdy!



Ungraded due to way too many conflicts of interest (I don't think I have enough fingers to count how many friends I have that work there).


Still playing catch up on the reviews, last February (jeez! was it that long ago) I made it out to Pointe Claire to see their group show called Under Construction. As you might expect, I was quite pleased and entertained by the show. It consisted of work by Thomas Corriveau, Martin Dèsilets, Guillaume Lachapelle and Sean Whalley, curated by Amanda Johnston and Alexandra Hofmaenner it was a smoothly done collection of some widely different art.

I'm not entirely certain if I am as much a fan of M. Dèsilets' work as I am of the other three artists, but they all fit in very nicely to the overall theme (which if you hadn't quite figured out was 'architecture'). And this might also have to do with my sense of the show being somewhat fragmented. While each of the artists did work that had strong "I'm building stuff" happening, I missed any real connections between them, beyond that. Similar to Hampstead, Hochelaga, Saint Leonard and Pointe Claire all being part of Montreal, yet also being very different neighborhoods.

Although now that I think about it, I might be giving M. Dèsilets short shrift, due to his stuff only being 2-D, while everyone else's was 3-D.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home