Quantcast

Sunday, January 14, 2007

I dont' agree with Dominique Brais (weird, eh?)

Howdy!

Cesar Saez's banana just won't go away. It must be a really really slow news week or something, 'cuz I can't figure out any other explanation as to how $65,000 is causing such an uproar. There was an op-ed article by Dominique Brais in Sunday's La Presse. There were a couple of mistakes.

1. Cesar Saez's banana, despite the title, is not geostationary.
2. I have no idea where the 'Musée National du Canada' is. I think Mr. or Ms. Brais is referring to the Musée des beaux-arts du Canada. The editors at Le Papier should have known better.
3. Incomprehension does not dominate when art gets on the front page.
4. Art does have a very specific role to play in out society.
5. The artists who get large amounts of money from CALQ and the Canada Council are better known than those that receive little amounts.
6. CALQ and the Canada Council distribute the results of their funding as widely as the internet will allow. If Mr. or Ms. Brais can't be bothered to look them up, it isn't the fault of the institutions.

Although now that I have enumerated the mistakes, I have this sinking feeling that I am not quite fluently bilingual enough to recognize irony and sarcasm in what is not my mother tongue. None the less, there are still mistakes. So there!

    Your Ad Here

      << Home