Quantcast

Friday, December 29, 2006

Stan Douglas is going to Omaha

Howdy!

Thanks to some 'late-capitalist phenomena' I was able to read Leslie Camhi's review of Stan Douglas' Inconsolable Memories almost the moment it was published, cool, eh.

Now I've never been a big fan of Mr. Douglas' art, but I got a chuckle out of Ms. Camhi's line 'The sometimes-blurry sound didn't help; it seemed both the result of a technical glitch and part of an artistic strategy to frustrate comprehension.' My guess would be that it also was caused by the 'use of two 16mm loops projected simultaneously onto one screen' which it appears Ms. Camhi overlooked.

And to explain one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of Mr. Douglas' work, is that I'd be you dollars to doughnuts the photographs that accompany Inconsolable Memories are the exact same photographs as were in the Sound + Vision exhibit that was here in Montreal this past summer ('Bank lobbies have become parking lots'). I can sorta kind of understand it when Disney turns an amusement park ride into a film, and when someone takes a movie and turns it into a Broadway musical. But reusing the exact same images in different installations just makes me think that Mr. Douglas has run out of ideas.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home