Quantcast

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Stuff Seen - Karine Gibouleau

Howdy!



B-

Gallery SAS has been around for a while, and I've never really been able to get a hang of what or how they were trying to do, beyond the standard issue hang some things on the wall and see if we can't sell 'em.



For the most part I've only seen group shows there, and the t-shirt thing that they do every year is goofy kid stuff fun. They probably would prefer if I referred to it as Onetop. But two weeks ago they had what appeared to be for the most part to be a solo show. And even better, it seemed to me that Ms. Gibouleau had thought out what she wanted to do.



Unfortunately, I wasn't a big fan. On the bright side, my companion (obscured but visible in the photo above) was a big fan. Basically she made these dioramas that you can see in the pictures that then had corresponding paintings. They had political overtones (although nothing terribly radical) and were fairly simplistic.



I think it was this simplistic view, combined with (what I assume is a) deliberate choice of a childish style that made me think I was being served baby food. Personally, I prefer food that makes my stomach think, and I most definitely prefer art that makes me think hard.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home