Quantcast

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Stuff Seen - Roy Hartling

Howdy!



Ungraded, because I saw it before it opened.

I'd heard lots and lots about the Heidi Hollinger/Michael Collins emporium named Hollinger Collins Art Contemporain, but I'd never been, so I took advantage of us being in the neighborhood to swing by. Umm, it ain't all it is cracked up to be. Standard issue commercial gallery, dedicated to photography. The space itself is only slightly more impressive than Zeke's (I'm quite pleased to see that they use Bureau en gros to do their bulk printing) and the stock they were carrying beyond Mr. Hartling's show wasn't all that impressive (the late Blow-Up Gallery had way better stuff). I can only remember one piece 10 days after being there. I

However, Mr. Hartling's work didn't do anything to increase or decrease how much I liked Ms. Hollinger and Mr. Collins' place of business. Standard and solid pictures of Istanbul (or given the title, what I assume was Istanbul, as I said the show wasn't completely up, yet) there were three shots I sorta liked, two of which made it onto the invite.

I was able to snag a copy of Mr. Hartling's CV and looking a little closer I got a belly laugh as to how the photography department at Dawson College becomes the Dawson Institute of Photography. And how there is no mention that the Warren G. Flowers Gallery is in fact the art gallery at Dawson College which makes me wonder how hard it was to get an exhibit there. None the less, as I've said before, I'm not a big fan of re-touching and airbrushing a CV in order to make it look better, so everybody should be happy that I didn't grade this show.

[update March 2007: I accidentally called Anthony Collins, Michael in this post. My apologies, his name is Anthony - I must've had a brain fart or something.]

    Your Ad Here

      << Home