Quantcast

Monday, December 12, 2005

Monday must be the new Saturday

Howdy!

Over at the Globe and Mail, Sarah Milroy writes about a recent trip she took to Buffalo and the exhibit she saw. I don't quite understand her habit of writing about a show that opened a month and a half ago. Nor to I understand how she managed to miss the fact that it had shown in China before coming to Buffalo, however Pierre Theberge and his colleagues must be happy, as she uses two paragraphs to detail a piece by Cai Guo-Qiang (everybody else gets only one) and he is getting a solo exhibit in Shawinigan this summer, which would make me assume that she's going to cover it. We'll see if it gets as prominent coverage as this show does, then.

I think I still prefer it when regular reporters cover art, Ms. Milroy's open ended questions "What does it mean to be part of a nation of 1.3 billion people? What happens to the perception of the individual in such a state? Does such profusion produce a sense of liberation (in anonymity) or alienation? And what kind of bold possibilities are opened up by the presence of such a collectivity?" and "Are they supporting these structures or are they oppressed by them?" don't strike me as being particularly helpful in understanding anything about the art, but then again, I don't write for the Globe and mail.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home