Quantcast

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Interesting Editorial Choices by Sarah Milroy

Howdy!


From prior reading of what Ms. Milroy wrote I had always thought that she was a critic who would not pander to the idea of "Sex Sells." Well, obviously I gotta change my thoughts. While I really like in theory what seems to me to be a new turn for the Saturday Globe & Mail, whereby they lead the Entertainment section with a humongous photo and really large article on contemporary Canadian Art, in practice it doesn't seem to be working out so well. Two weeks ago there was this unfocused article about Pascal Grandmaison, and today there is this 1,233 word article about Margaret Lunt and her son. On the surface all fine and dandy, writing about one of the (from what I've heard) most kick-ass professors of photography in Canada, and fairly cutting-edge (ok, maybe like that of a butter knife) art. And unlike fourteen days ago, this article is focused, well written, and interesting. So what's my problem? Well, I didn't know that Ms. Milroy was in the habit of giving precious column inches to four year old exhibitions, that aren't even being shown currently.

Now this is where it gets really weird, the basis for the article; photographs by Evergon that were in an exhibition Margaret and I, at the Edward Day Gallery in 2002 are (as I've said) quite good. But, I've never heard of, or read before a feature article in a daily newspaper about a gallery's back-room stock. Normally, I figure that's what books, and magazines are for. I'd love to know if because of the article any of them sell, and while I'm at it, I would imagine that there are other galleries in the country where you can get pictures of Margaret Lunt, because the show has been in a bunch of commercial galleries across this fair land.

For what it is worth, the show originally started out at Galerie Trois Points, here in Montreal, back in September of 2001. Then it seems that some of the pictures went to Ottawa and were exhibited at Saint Laurent+Hill, and then went to the Stride Gallery in Calgary in 2003 (the Stride is the only Artist Run Center in the bunch).

So, the only reason I can guess as to why it shows up now, is that someone at the Globe & Mail decided that a full-frontal nude portrait of a (then) 82 year-old woman was going to sell some papers, and Ms. Milroy was told she needed to write some words to accompany the photo. Is there anybody out there that's taken really big photos of their 90 year-old dad naked? I hear the Globe and Mail is looking to fill some space on the 18th of June.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home