Quantcast

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Isn't that why there are borders?

Howdy!

I'm not really big on mending walls, or even a mending wall. However as I'm stuck up here in the frost, I can't stop myself from pointing out how absolutely horrific the CBC's art coverage has become. Case in point, number seventy-five: Some bright wag there (probably Greig Dymond) decided that my tax dollars would be well spent paying Miranda Purves for her thoughts on The Gates. It ended up becoming a 995 word article called "Gated Community, Inside Central Park for the launch of The Gates."

Why, Mr. Dymond thought that it was relevant content for the CBC's Arts website, I don't know. Why Mr. Dymond thought that Ms. Purves would write about the project better than your generic Arts journalist, or better than your generic Visual Arts journalist, or better than your professional Visual Arts journalist, or better than your professional and academic Visual Arts journalist, or better than your professional gossip columnist, I don't know.

I figured I was up here on the other side of the border, I wasn't going down to see the Gates, so there was a distinct possibility that I could actually limit the amount of Gates coverage that I consumed - y'know sorta like Bob wrote... But, no, Mr. Dymond decided that what I needed was insightful commentary I couldn't get elsewhere. Maybe next time, he'll stick to the Canadian side of the border and publish a review of the Christo and Jeanne-Claude exhibit happening 1.8 miles from him, at the Art Gallery of Ontario.

Rant-off, and I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home