Quantcast

Friday, October 15, 2004

Once again, I'm late to the party

Howdy!

I don't know how I missed this one, but thankfully I did stumble across it.

In a nutshell, András Szántó and Daniel S. Levy write that newspaper coverage of the Arts is going to heck in a handbasket. I would agree wholeheartedly, and despite their touting the "alternative" press, here in Montreal none of the four weeklies do the Arts as they should.

Mr. Szántó, for those of you who aren't aware, is director of the National Arts Journalism Program at Columbia University, which looks to me like a kick-ass program. Believe it or not, Mr. Levy writes for People magazine.

One of the reasons that when I write about Arts coverage here in town I count the words (or more accurately get the computer to count the words) is so that there is some quantitative information about the coverage. When Nicolas Mavrikakis' articles went from about 700+ words to 400+ words it was as plain as the nose on your face that something was changing with regards to Visual Arts converage in Voir.

Tie the op-ed piece by Mr. Szántó and Mr. Levy in with the recent Art Blogging Love Fest that happened, and sure as shootin' something's up.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home