Quantcast

Saturday, September 04, 2004

TAAFI v. TAFI

Howdy!

Back in May, I got solicited by the Toronto Alternative Art Fair International, I wrote about what I thought here. If you're too lazy to click, it was called "Getting Grumpy" and basically my reasons for being a sour puss were that it did not look "alternative" to anything.

Well, today in my inbox, I got an email from Akimbo announcing the line-up for TAAFI.

Of the ten galleries that they have exhibiting, four are also exhibiting at the Toronto International Art Fair. Christopher Cutts Gallery, Tatar Gallery, Robert Birch Gallery and Paul Petro Contemporary Art, or in other words forty percent. Then, C-Magazine is also taking a booth at both fairs. And, both fairs are at the same time. I don't see how TAAFI by charging $4,200 less, can be considered alternative.

On a positive note, I am very glad and happy to see that they comped some people. Instant Coffee, Allyson Mitchell, Satchel Gallery, are the lucky folk who didn't have to pay. I hope that TAAFI does succeed because there ain't nothing wrong with getting people to see art, but I do think that they should change their name.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home