Quantcast

Sunday, July 11, 2004

Robert Hughes on his TV Show

Howdy!

I got this advertisement for Robert Hughes' new TV show from Good Reads. And questions of credibility aside (there ain't no credibility within 50 miles of this article) this

1,480 word article makes some points (which I also imagine are made in the TV show) some of which are interesting, some of which are tedious. I also, apologize for the lack of Canadian Content (I don't think that it has or is planned to be shown here - ArTV somehow thinks that repeats of Ally MacBeal twice a day are more engaging).

First off, you can't tell the players without a scorecard. According to Mr. Hughes the Bad Artists are: Georg Baselitz, Mel Bochner, Sandro Chia, Jeff Koons, David Salle, Julian Schnabel and Andy Warhol. He thinks that Damien Hirst, David Hockney, Anselm Kiefer, Michelangelo, Paula Rego, Sean Scully and Andy Warhol are good artists. He is on the fence about the work of Richard Serra.

There, I think I might have saved you about 30 minutes of your time, judging from the article, I would guess that Mr. Hughes spends that much time discussing the art of the artists mentioned.

He then goes off on a rant, which culminates in the following sentence; "The art world is now so swollen with currency and the vanity of inflated reputation that it is taking on some of the less creditable aspects of showbiz." Which I think is due in part (or at least that's how it sounds from the article) from him getting dissed by Mel Bochner and Damien Hirst.

Umm, not to belabor the obvious, but I would imagine from my limited vantage point, that The art world has been so swollen with currency and the vanity of inflated reputation for so darn long that I am shocked to find out that Mr. Hughes is suddenly discovering it looks like some of the less creditable aspects of showbiz. Ummm, what's TV, if not showbiz?

Mr. Hughes, would you like to be the pot or the kettle?

    Your Ad Here

      << Home