Quantcast

Saturday, December 13, 2003

Stuff gets weird, sometimes.

Howdy!

About 2 weeks ago I was here at the gallery and I get a phone call from this guy Martin. He says that he had been to the gallery before (during the infamous Smurf Halloween Party) and was wondering if he could bring a film crew here, in order to document a guy who wanted to break the Guinness World Record for most piercings.

After I pick my jaw up off the floor, I say �sure, why not?� Then it starts t get surreal. Apparently Martin is calling from London, England, Bravo UK has this series called �World of Pain� and the guy who wants to turn into a human pincushion is from Winnipeg. Something about Montr�al being in the middle, or that they are going to do more than one �interview� while they are here in town, so it becomes cost efficient. But I really got a kick out of the London-Montr�al-Winnipeg triangle, not one of your standard issue isosceles.

I have a feeling that this breaking of the world record for the largest number of surgical needles to be inserted into the human body will make for a better story than it will be in actual fact (again that Perception versus Reality thing). But riffing off the idea is tons of fun!

Back in the old days I got a copy of Re/Search #12 and was fascinated by the body modifications that were detailed, a couple of years before that I spent a full 2 years thinking about getting a tattoo, and then going back further, when I was 18 I burned myself with a cigarette, deliberately, once. But seriously getting into any of those things, or becoming a professional masochist was not something that I thought would be terribly fun. However, reading, discussing, thinking and watching, occasionally (following the Jim Rose Circus Sideshow around the country as a roadie was not going to happen either) is an eminently enjoyable diversion. Sorta like a small dose of TV.

Now, I get my kicks from and by smaller pleasures. But it is nice (ok, maybe not THAT warm and fuzzy) to still think that I can revert back to the level of entertainment that I had when I was 18.

    Your Ad Here

      << Home